Blood pressure test Equipment
A blood pressure monitor ("cuff") or an ambulatory blood pressure monitoring (ABPM) device, for use at home by a patient
Blood pressure monitors for use at home aren't covered by Medicare, with two exceptions:
- A blood pressure monitor and stethoscope for a patient receiving blood dialysis (hemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis) in the home
- An ambulatory blood pressure monitoring (ABPM) device, which takes and stores blood pressure readings in 24-hour cycles, for a patient who, a physician believes, has "white coat hypertension" (artificially high blood pressure readings when taken in a doctor's office) based on repeated in-office and out-of-office testing
If you have a Medicare Part C Medicare Advantage plan: Medicare Part C Medicare Advantage plans, also called Medicare Advantage plans, must cover everything that's included in original Medicare Part A and Part B coverage. But sometimes a Part C plan covers more, with extra services or an expanded amount of coverage. (Co-payments for Part C plans may also be different than those for Part A or Part B.) To find out whether your plan provides extra coverage or requires different co-payments for a blood pressure monitor, contact the plan directly.
What Medicare Pays
Medicare Part B pays 80 percent of the Medicare-approved amount for rental of a covered blood pressure monitoring device; the patient is responsible for the remaining 20 percent.
Warning: If a blood pressure monitor is rented from what's called a Medicare "participating supplier, " the supplier can't charge more than the Medicare-approved amount. However, a supplier who's enrolled in Medicare but isn't an officially participating supplier may charge more than the Medicare-approved amount. In that case, the patient must personally pay the difference between the Medicare-approved amount and the amount the supplier actually charges (on top of the 20 percent of the Medicare-approved amount that Medicare doesn't pay).
Important: Regardless of the rules regarding any particular type of care or equipment, in order for Medicare Part A, Medicare Part B, or a Medicare Part C plan to provide coverage, the care or equipment must meet two basic requirements:
Share this Post
Where to Get blood pressure tested?
A member of our trained pharmacy staff will take your blood pressure in the privacy of a consultation room. Your result will…Read More
Blood pressure Testing at home
Your doctor may advise you to take regular blood pressure and heart rate (pulse) readings at home, or you may decide to do…Read More